Ful (“fo-ol”) Medames is a traditional Syrian breakfast and a staple in other Middle-Eastern countries like Lebanon, Egypt, and Morocco. For starters, this meal is entirely vegan and easy to prepare while also very filling. Savory and hearty, it’s a breakfast meal that my family and I enjoy during Sunday brunch. Keep reading for the recipe, and make sure you check out our other recipes here.
Disclaimer: I do not include exact measurements below. How much to add of each ingredient depends on personal preferences.
Time: 20 minutes
- Green onion
- Fava beans (canned)
- Chickpeas (canned)
- Chile powder or jalapeño (optional)
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- First, bring water in a pot to a boil.
- Then, add salt and garlic to the pot (for taste).
- Rinse and strain canned fava beans and chickpeas; boil them in the pot of water for 5 minutes.
- Finely chop the tomatoes, parsley, and onions, set aside.
- Squeeze juice from the lemon and set aside.
- Collect beans and pot water into a bowl.
- Aliquot equal amounts of chopped tomatoes, parsley, and onions to the bowl.
- Pour some lemon juice & olive oil into the bowl.
- Add chile powder or jalapeño slices (optional) and lots of cumin. (mmmm, never enough, cumin!)
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Feel free to share it with your friends and family. Check more recipes out here!